05 February 2009

Going To School

Vera is going to school! Can you believe it? Way before normal kids haha. Okay, it's not a school school, but an early intervention programme. Ian and I visited the school today. It has a nice name too - Rainbow Centre. (Yishun Park School). It's brand new, just opened less than a year, has got a big swimming pool and looks like a mini country club. For the first time, I entered the world where disabled kids go to learn. As we toured the school grounds, we saw a puny little girl, probably 4 years old, taking tentative steps in a walker. She walked nearly 2o metres in it! Looking at her, I got all emotional. "Wow, how hard she must have worked to do that!" Tears welled up in my eyes. Would Vera make it to one day accomplish that? The thought overwhelmed me.

What is normally a good few-months wait for a placement turned out to be an immediate vacancy. Vera could be going to school as early as next week! Excited as I am, I am wary about her catching more viruses there. Plus, she hasn't gone for any of her vaccinations, so that is another worry. But that's not gonna stop us from letting her experience going to school. Even if it's for one day!

3 comments:

JoAnnA said...

Hi May!

Heard about Rainbow Centre before. From what I know the staff there are really great.

I'm currently with Prof Mary Rauff at NUH. She's an expert on pregnancy complications. So far my contractions are better. But I know anytime will change. So crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Anonymous said...

My son is autistic and goes to an early learning center (New Jersey)
It was hard for me to see him go off his first day. HE LOVES IT! They treat him so well. Each day he grabs his backpack and lunch and off he goes. I'm sure Vera will have a very positive experience, and you'll feel safe sending her.

Cathy said...

Wow, way to go Vera! I will pray for Mr. Germ to stay far away. Pictures on her first day, please....